This morning, upon deleting my 9th such email in an hour, I took a moment to think about the perfect band submission, if such a thing could exist. Perhaps a list of rules would be a good idea?
This is where I realised I'm as contradictory as I am angry.
- Be concise... yet make sure you give me lots of info
- Be friendly and charming... but don't suck up
- Be confident... but do not, under any circumstances, be arrogant
- Tell me why your band is going to sell records... but don't tell me they're the next big thing
- Make it be known that you're not afraid to work hard... but don't you dare call me at 9pm on a Sunday night
- Do tell me your Myspace address... but I will frown on you for still using that terrible website
- Don't send MP3 attachments... but do make sure there are streaming and download links available
- Don't tell me I should sign you cos you're friends with our bands... although I do kinda like hearing that
- Don't list a bunch of gigs in towns I've never heard of... but do show me you're willing to tour hard
- And finally, continuing from the above; don't offer me guestlist for a gig in a village hall on the other side of the country one rainy Monday night... but do, it makes me feel powerful