Tuesday, 7 September 2010

You've come along way baby

...is the title of my favourite Fatboy Slim album. It's also a thought which has been spinning around my head a lot of late.

Today, Big Scary Monsters Records turns 100 releases old. I was up until 3am this morning making final adjustments to the website and answering a bunch of email interviews with different magazines, all of which asked the same question: Did I ever think it would come this far? Simple answer: no. When the label began I didn't even know what a record company does, let alone stopping to consider how far it might go. Of course I had childish dreams of swimming in pools of money like Scrooge McDuck, but as time wore on, naivety was replaced with excitement as I discovered the joy of finding and working with new bands, doing all I can to get their music out to as many people as possible. There's a certain, addictive joy to discovering a brand new band and watching them grow. A proud father feeling, perhaps?

You can read all about 'Partied Hard', our celebratory DVD/CD compilation over at www.bsmrocks.com and watch the trailer I posted on here yesterday. As you'll see, the release is only available until 24th October (the day before BSM101 comes out), and will be limited to however many sell during that time, so I'd encourage you to order sooner rather than later. During this period I'll be writing bits and pieces for the blog, talking about some of the content on the discs, running competitions and making a few new announcements. Hopefully it won't get too boring!

I wanted to finish this post by saying thanks. We really couldn't have come this far without you all. It's a cliche but that doesn't mean it's not true, and you'll probably never know how much your support has meant to myself and the bands over the course of the last 9 years. For every CD you've bought, gig you've attended, band you've put up for a night, nice email you've sent, friend you've recommended the label to, or minute you've read this silly little blog, you've helped make it all worthwhile.

Here's to the next 100. Cheers

No comments: