Tuesday, 16 February 2010

R.I.P. Blakfish

Unfortunately, as of late last week, Blakfish are no more. I don't think I was alone in believing this band would be touring until the end of time, but unfortunately Sam (vocals and guitar) has decided to leave. During a European tour with Biffy Clyro certainly isn't the worst way to bow out, but it's an unfortunate and very unexpected demise, all the same. It goes without saying that they'll be sorely missed and we hope to bring you news of future musical projects as soon as they begin to surface.

Something which has bothered me a little over the past few days, since the announcement was made on Saturday evening, is the number of fans appearing from nowhere. Obviously that in itself hasn't bothered me, I love it that people enjoyed the bands music, it's just a shame that some have stayed so quiet until now.

The same thing seems to happen everytime. Whenever a band splits up, everyone suddenly declares their love for the music, but whilst they're together, plugging away 200 nights a year touring in cold vans, peddling their wares trying to make ends meet, it seems a somewhat different story. We've seen it with Meet Me In St Louis, Jairus, Secondsmile and countless others here, whilst more recently, away from the label, These Arms Are Snakes seemed to suffer a pretty similar fate.

I don't want this to turn into a preachy rant, demanding people spend all of their time and money, devoting their lives to the bands they enjoy, I completely understand and respect that life is about a hell of a lot more than that, but what I'm saying is that sometimes - just, every now and again - maybe take a moment out to appreciate what you've got. It's a bit of an old cliche to say "you don't know what you've got til it's gone" but that's not to say it isn't true. I'm as guilty of it as the next man and much like a near death experience shaking you into action to sort out your life, I'm going to try and make more of an effort to get out and enjoy the bands I love, whilst they're still in need of my support.

Going to gigs, buying CDs and even sending quick emails to let someone know you appreciate what they do isn't a big commitment, but you never know, at the end of the day it could make all the difference.

Rant over. As you were, people.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember finding them on myspace years ago and coming to Bham to do gigs with them and our band. Great band, great guys, really sad to hear of the news.

Jay said...

Great band. It is sad that many people don't appreciate many of the great bands out there until they call it a day.

I consider myself lucky, having seen them live five times since I first saw them with Tubelord and Colour (RIP) in Kingston. I know some have expressed regret at having never seen them, and I feel for them. But I still would've liked to see them at least five times more.

I wrote how I felt when I found out about them breaking up. It's up on my blog.

http://mujahidjohar.blogspot.com/2010/02/rip-blakfish.html