Tuesday, 19 January 2010

Have you met Chase?

I feel the need to apologise for my absence in every new blog post at the moment. I guess the times of writing on here daily are gone, crushed by the realities of a growing workload and unfortunately more pressing matters. We're now three parts (Tangled Hair, Walter Schreifels and Ice Sea Dead People) into our 52 track '10 Collection and plan to unveil a new 7" release before the end of the week. We also have some amazing gigs coming up as Shapes head out in support of Glassjaw whilst Talons and Shoes And Socks Off play five free entry shows around the UK, with an array of wonderful supports (dates for both tours are listed on bsmrocks.com). On the other side of the Atlantic things are starting to take shape. Castevet's 12" is being pressed right now and will be available to pre-order from our online store over the next couple of days, Grown Ups hit the studio next week (with producer Matt Allison, who has previously worked with the likes of Alkaline Trio and Lawrence Arms) and will be touring the UK in May, Walter Schreifels returns to Brooklyn from a tour of Australia, where he'll be finishing up the artwork for his album and finalising plans for his UK tour in March/April, and Noumenon complete work on their new EP ahead of the split single with Talons. On that note, I'm going to hand this over to Chase, BSM US label manager, to say hi...



Hello all. As was stated back a few months ago, I will be running the US "branch" of Big Scary Monsters. Kev and I thought it would be fun for me to share a few things about myself and post 5 U.S. artists I personally think you should all be listening too! I hope you enjoy what you read and if so, maybe I will post here more often!

5 U.S. bands you may or may not know about but should:

- Noumenon (Chicago, IL): This 3 piece "math rock" band will seriously blow your mind. Its distorted, its ridiculously technical but at the same time tasteful. The bands forthcoming EP is going to bend this over-saturated genre into something really original and well, FUN. - http://www.myspace.com/daftkrunk

- Into It. Over It (Chicago, IL): Another act from the wonderful city of Chicago! Into. It Over It is the brainchild of ex Damiera, The Progress and Up Up Down Left Right Left Right B A Start member Evan Weiss. Its really a flash back to late 90's emo but with a bit of a modern feel. Think Death Cab For Cutie, Braid and Piebald all mashed up into one artist. Songs range from upbeat and technical to quiet and emotional. One of my favorite up and coming songwriters! - http://www.myspace.com/intoitoverit

- The Felix Culpa (Chicago, IL/Milwaukee, WI): The Felix Culpa is a band I've been into since I was in high school. I've had the joy of playing shows with them in my previous bands and over the years watching them continue to write these incredible songs. A great, great live band. One of the best drummers I've ever seen live. If you are into some really solid post hardcore jams, I highly recommend The Culpa. They have a new record coming out at the end of this month titled Sever Your Roots and I think you should check it out! - http://www.myspace.com/thefelixculpa

- Mountain Asleep (Louisville, KY): If you like your punk rock fast with a dash of melodic, technical guitar/drum work then you will love this band. Some of the more fun live experiences I've had the past year have been at Mountain Asleep shows. Check out this band, download the record, and learn all the words: http://www.ifyoumakeit.com/album/mountain-asleep/hello-anxious

- Thousandaires (Brooklyn, NY): It doesn't get much better than this. Catchy, upbeat punk rock with tons gang vocals and sing-a-longs. Thousandaires features members of Bridge and Tunnel, Get Bent and Halo Fauna. How can you go wrong with that combination? You can download the record for free here: http://www.ifyoumakeit.com/album/thousandaires/land-seal-demo/

(Sorry about the abundance of Chicago bands in my lists. I grew up with this scene and call it home. Too many talented bands you should all know about!)

a few of my favorite bands/artists:

- The Lawrence Arms
- The Jesus Lizard
- Sonic Youth
- Modern Life Is War
- Owen
- The Smiths
- Owls
- The Ghost
- Hot Water Music
- Black Flag
- Fela Kuti
- My Bloody Valentine- Colossal
- Converge
- Fugazi
- Sigur Rós
- Michael Jackson
- Tom Waits
- Bob Dylan
- The Promise Ring
- Braid
- Cap'n Jazz
- Morrissey
- Alkaline Trio (Pre Good Morning)

a few records I'm currently listening to:

- A Sunny Day in Glasgow Ashes Grammar (Carrot Top)
- Lord Newborn and the Magic Skulls Lord Newborn and the Magic Skulls (Ubiquity)
- Narrows New Distances (Deathwish)
- Phoenix Wolfgang Amaadeus Phoenix (Glass Note)
- Russian Circles Geneva (Suicide Squeeze)
- Toe For Long Tomorrow (Manchu Picchu)
- Noumenon Party Mathematics (TBA)
- Pissed Jeans King of Jeans (Sub Pop)
- Dear Landlord Dream Homes (Red Scare)
- Dirty Projectors Ascending Melody 7" (Domino)
- The Pains Of Being Pure At Higher Than The Stars EP

a few books I'm currently reading:

- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
- god is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
- Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Feel free to contact me anytime!
email: chase.igliori@gmail.com
blog: http://chaseinaction.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/chaseigliori


1 comment:

girl said...

sorry about my excitement but I LOVE THOUSANDAIRES !!!!!!!!! that demo was probably one of the best things about 2008. ha.