Friday, 14 August 2009

FOOTBALL!!

And we're back. After a difficult couple of months off, occasionally forcing me to turn towards the dark side (AKA cricket), the football season is officially back this weekend as the Premier League kicks off in less than 12 hours time.

To celebrate, I rounded up a few old football fan friends to give us a quick rundown on their tips for the season ahead. Here's the first selection:

Gavin Cooke - In The City

Prem: can't say Utd, though it will be them, so... Chelsea.
Champ: Sheff Utd
League 1: Leeds
League 2: Notts County

My team: Stalybridge look to have a solid team, and we'll be disappointed to not have a playoff challenge at least. For once we have a better defence than attack, though we have signed a winger nicknamed Eusebio who's, bizarrely, waiting for a work permit. I'm also a Man City fan - challenge on the top 4 init.


Jack - Alcopop Records

Prem: Chelsea
Champ: So open this year... Probably WBA
League 1: Gotta fancy Leeds, but I'm going to go out on a limb and puntfor the MK Dons
League 2: Notts County *fuck off Sven- but they're bound too*

My Team: As for Coventry, yet another season of transition beckons after we'vesold our two best defenders - but with a canny manager and a positive,young squad - an acorn of optimism has been buried in my soul and itjust won't quit. Morrison is class at his best, and our newer signingsseem to be inspired. Young Gunnar and Westwood are phenomenal youngtalent and with a bit of luck, we could scrape the play-offs. Prediction: 7th. Prediction come Christmas: 17th. Prediction come next March: Fuck off - this season's dead to me...


Paul - Punktastic

Prem: Chelsea. Man Utd should win the league but Ronaldo is a massive loss and hasn't been replaced. United look weaker while Chelsea have kept their team together. Liverpool rely on Gerard and Torres and in a world cup year neither will go above and beyond. Arsenal lack defensive quality while Man City will go through 3 managers at least.
Champ: a very tough one to call but I'll go with West Brom. They should have enough quality but any one of about 10 teams could go up. Reading, Forest, Sheffield Utd and Newcastle should all do well too.
League 1: I expect Norwich to do well after their 7-1 opening day mauling. I'd guess Huddersfield and charlton will be up there too.
League 2: Notts Co will NOT win this league. They will struggle to make the play offs unless they spend massive btween now and the transfer window. I think Bournemouth may surprise people, ditto Torquay.

My team: Grimsby could make the L2 play offs if we're lucky!


Ben Patashnik - NME

Prem: ARSENAL. THIS IS OUR FUCKING YEAR, FUCK YOU EVERYONE ELSE. ESPECIALLY YOU, CHELSEA, YOU SACK OF ABJECT CUNTS.
Champ: Preston
League 1: Leeds
League 2: Notts County

My team: How I Think Arsenal Will Do: This is it. This is our year. We’ve got a bunch of 9-year-olds running around the pitch but, as long as no one steps on Cesc and breaks him, if Vermaelen boshes our defence into shape, if Theo and Wilshere turn into the players they could be, if Rosicky gets back to full fitness then we can do it. With those bastards Toure and Adebayor gone we could actually play as a team for a bit...and when we do that we can slay everyone. Hopefully. Theoretically. But then again I’ve been saying this for the past four years only to be really fucking upset by the middle of December.


So that's their tips, what do you think? Reading's new team of kids for the Championship, right?


1 comment:

Dany said...

I wish I were that confident about the Gunners. Maybe after today I will be.