Monday, 17 August 2009

A few more predictions

The Premier League season kicked off this weekend. So good to have it back, but I'm not even going to touch on the subject of Reading's frankly embarrassing loss to Newcastle (seriously, a Shola Ameobi hat-trick?!) in The Championship, so lets move quickly on and give you a couple more predictions for the season ahead, following on from last weeks. We'll be back on the musical subject tomorrow. Sorry sport-haters.


Dave Summers - Disc Manufacturing Services

Prem: Chelsea
Champ: Ipswich Town
League 1: Leeds Utd
League 2: Notts County

My team: And the mighty Plymouth Argyle will have another unpredictable season with some glorious wins but increasingly more humiliating defeats until old timer manager Paul Sturrock is hoofed upstairs. Possible relegation for us but an optimistic view will see us mid table ready for a promotion push next year with teh cash from our wealthy new owners! As for the DMS Fantasy Football League, its will be DMS All Stars all the way, with BSM certainly not rocking the boat!


Mike Hemsley - Hassle Records

Prem: Man Utd :(
Champ: Derby County
League 1:– Leeds United
League 2: Accrington Stanley (just because of the Ian Rush / milk ads)

My team: Liverpool. If we keep Torres and Gerrard fit all season, we have the potential to push Man Utd even further than we did last season, but I just don’t see us as having the squad to win the league just yet. Whilst I personally think Glen Johnson is a great signing, losing Alonso will hurt us badly (I don’t know enough about Aquilani to comment) and the failure to sign any convincing wingers or a second convincing striker is more than a little depressing. I predict 2nd in the league, a decent FA Cup run, the usual 3rd or 4th round League Cup exit and minimum of Quarter Finals in the Champions League.


Dany Sloan - Future Sounds

I've put off writing these predictions for some time because I'd have to finally admit on paper that my pre-season optimism for Arsenal was all a farce. Each season I have high hopes for the Gunners, but for the past few years, those hopes have been dashed for one reason or another, and this year will be no different. There was no big transfer this summer, and with old
moneybags up there in Manchester (and no, I am not referring to Man U / SCUM), it seems that our spot in the top four might be threatened. Will Arsenal be playing European football next year? Of course, but it may not be as easy as in years past. So what will happen in the Premier League this year? Manchester United, since getting rid of that waste of space Ronaldo, will unfortunately still be great, but Liverpool will be better and win the league title. Rounding
out the top four? Chelsea and Man City. Arsenal finishes 5th.

Looking at the Championship, I don't see the new blood having any kind of effect on the top of the table, except for the fact that Newcastle will help the leaders add to their points total. Sheffield United looks like the team to beat, while Preston gets an automatic promotion nod as well.

In League One, this WILL be the year of Leeds. I am confident that they will handily win the title and finally be on their way back up. Keep in mind that I said this last year (I have a soft spot for the West Yorkshire team), but they have the pieces to finally do it this year. Over promotion or playoff contenders: Norwich City, Millwall, and Charlton United. Ok, I
am joking about the last one, but at least they won't be relegated this season!

I am afraid that I don't pay much attention to League Two, but I do like Rotherham, and they should be able to make some noise now that their finances are in order. Other teams to watch include Notts County and Bury.

No comments: