Monday, 20 April 2009

Web 2.1

It's sunny - really sunny - I'm listening to The Beach Boys and balancing daydreams. Tomorrow we're announcing a new signing (the good people of Twitter have already enjoyed a sneaky peak, perhaps Facebook will get a sniff today?) and after a beautiful couple of years together, I've decided to separate from the current BSM website design.

We've had some fine times together. Laughter and tears, bad spelling and server failiures, I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'm going to miss that weird looking little alien thing ripping up New York City, but all good things must eventually come to an end and just like at that dodgy little massage parlour on Albert Square Peggy Mitchell keeps kicking off about, I'm bringing you a happy one...

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the site and how we can improve it. The list is surprisingly long and Squeak, our devoted designer, probably doesn't know just what he's let himself in for this time. After the incredible feedback to my recent posts asking for help, I once again turn to you, dear faithful...

What do you want from our website?

The whole basis of the new site is you. Every new feature, function, page and image is being carved out with you in mind. I'm not going to post them all here just yet (prying eyes) but before we put the wheels into motion, I'd love to know what you guys think. No idea is too crazy, "pie in the sky thinking," as some horrible marketing people would say, is fine. We like a challenge.

To help get you started I'll tell you that the site will be wider, finally giving some important content a chance to enjoy a higher page placement, the online store will be ripped out, gutted and completely revamped, the Friend of The Family website login box will hopefully be available from anywhere on the website, and we'll be extending our 'recommended if you like...' tips beyond our own bands. That is, until everyone stops buying our releases and goes elsewhere! Right now I'm on a bit of a new band trip and feel as though a lot of you out there would also enjoy them, so will stop being selfish and share some of the love. For example, if you're checking out The Tupolev Ghost, the site may also tell you to give Papier Tigre, Thousandaires and perhaps Castevet a listen.

So, over to you. What do you want? What don't you want? Is there anything on the current site you particularly like? Would you appreciate less blogs which talk about Peggy Mitchell and self-loving? ...Or would you like more of those? You dirty dogs

No comments: