Thursday, 5 March 2009

Footy! Take 5

I am totally and unbearably hungover this morning. We're talking "did that really happen? Why did I keep drinking? And where did that hat come from?!" hungover. A 3am torch-in-the-face wake up on the top deck of a bus in the local depot is certainly not my favourite way to end a night. Neither is a difficult 30 minute freezing cold walk across the city whilst retching, cursing and trying to stop a dozy and delusional Jack wandering in front of traffic. Oh well, onwards and upwards... Time to have another stab at winning a small fortune through my second favourite vice.

After last weeks disaster its become disappointingly apparent that I'm only gonna get by with a little help from my friends so have enlisted three big hitting tipsters to steer me towards the path of riches:

Dave Summers - Disc Manufacturing Services (Plymouth fan)
  • Chelsea and Man Utd both to get away wins at Coventry / Fulham.Plus a nice home win for Torquay Utd at home over mid table Rushden & Diamonds cementing their play off spot in Conference. Rolling these winnings (or betting same sheet - nervous Sat night awaits) onto Sunday will see: Arsenal beating Burnley in FA Cup courtesy of Van Persie hat trick and Everton turning over Middlesborough 1-0 with more cup heroics from former Plymouth youth player Dan Gosling!
Tom Pennington - I Spy PR (Man City fan)
  • As a begrudging Man City season ticket holder (thanks Dad) I always bet against City when I can and that way I avoid maximum disappointment. Luckily we are not playing this weekend saving me my weekly heartache/winnings so will give my 2 cents on the others. The only Prem game is a grueling 6 pointer at the Stadium of Light where I fancy Spurs to ease their relegation troubles after their cup heartbreak. The rest of the afternoon will be spent rooting for the FA cup underdogs with Jack Alcopop's Cov vs Chelsea and Fulham vs Scum - two away wins the likely outcome unfortunately. Will also go for Kev's Royals to continue their march to the prem away at Plymouth, Watford to seal Charlton's fate at the Valley and Wolves to grab a vital win at Hillsborough
Dany Sloan - Exitfare (Arsenal fan)
  • As a Gunners supporter, it's been quite a thrill to see Tottenham flirt with relegation this season, but pragmatically speaking, is it going to happen? Probably not. The team isn't that bad, and Redknapp is a shrewd manager, but don't expect them to come away with a win this Saturday. But don't expect Sunderland to, either. It will be a 1-1 draw. The FA Cup matches will see a not easy win by Chelsea and a walk in the park for Man U. As much as it pains me to say this, these guys are going to win too many trophies this year. The most exciting matches come in the Championship on Saturday. I pick Birmingham City over Southampton, but Brum will make it interesting since they are down a few men. Blackpool takes Norwich, and in their quest for promotion, Cardiff handily takes Doncaster. Swansea over Nott Forest and Watford beats Charlton, but honestly, I think anyone could right now. Preston v. Crtstal Palace should be an interesting match, with Preston getting the points. I like Reading over Plymouth and QPR and Sheffield United will end in a draw. These sides are more evenly matched than the table may indicate. In the surprise of the week, Sheffield Wednesday takes Wolves. I think Wolverhampton is getting too comfortable at the top. My only comment on League One is this - Leeds over Bristol Rovers in their quest for promotion.
And I couldn't possibly end this blog without giving Dave a special shout-out after his miraculous predictions over the past couple of weeks which included a 1-0 Plymouth win away at top of the table Wolves, even correctly guessing that Paul Gallacher would get the goal! My "pfft, that'll never happen" scoffing certainly came back to haunt me and the pain of those huge odds still lingers. To make matters worse he repeated his success by rightly claiming that Plymouth would beat Watford 2-1 earlier this week, another tip I chose to ignore, and then to round it all off, last night I finally took his advice and stuck a fiver on a four team accumulator... Which lost. Badly.

Nobody gets it right all of the time.

Here's the full list of this weekends fixtures. As ever, your tips and advice are very much welcomed. I feel a big win approaching!

1 comment:

Dany said...

Fulham v. Scum. I like it.