Thursday, 19 February 2009

Out of Office - Creativity!

It feels like ages since my last full 'out of office' day and my attempted trip to Barcelona. Due to the last couple of weeks being so unbelievably busy I ended up just getting a couple of hours here and there, bordering on defying my one new years resolution. Well good news folks: I'm back on track this week and dedicating the whole of Thursday 19th February 2009 to "being creative"

Exactly where this vague creative banner will take me, I'm not yet sure, and your suggestions are of course welcome. I know that I need to package a LOT of 09 Collection CDs (printing, cutting, folding, gluing, stickering, stamping, inserting and tinning), I have an idea for a new t-shirt design which I'll be drawing up, inspired by a couple of conversation subjects from yesterday, a new Drowned In Sound column needs writing and I've got a few more ideas to add to my 'BSM Playbook' list of release concepts. So that's arts, crafts and writing covered, if only I had a scrap of musical talent I could write a song and tick music off, too.

All of this, of course, will be taking place in the middle of the front room whilst soundtracked by Spotify, so what I would really like is if people could comment below or Twitter me recommendations for motivational music. I'll be checking back from time to time to pick up your ideas and will post updates of my creative progress and accompanying noise.


Updates:

10:48am - I've gathered, printed and photographed whilst listening to Jaga Jazzist and the Rocky IV soundtrack. Before:



12:06pm - I have grossly underestimated how long these buggers are gonna take to put together! Still need to date-stamp them all yet. Anyway... After:



12:11pm - Going to eat and then crack on with more of these tins. A very nice man on Twitter has just made me a Spotify playlist to help with motivation. It starts with a Hot Snakes Peel sessions EP track. Good stuff!

14:08pm - Seriously, where is the time going?! I've managed to package up a few more 09 Collection sets, listened through the CD (which, may I add, is brilliant) and the Speaking Of Heroes album (my favourite band from MP3.com - still sounds as good now as it did all those years ago) and have just designed a new t-shirt. What do you think? Would you buy it?



15:17pm - New BSM badge design. Rocking out to Jay-Z's 'Black Album' and the new Talons tracks. They sound like a mix of all of our bands!



15:49pm - I've moved my one-man paper folding production line back to the computer so I can read a few emails whilst finishing these off. Well, I say finishing, that's a very hopeful use of the word! Gotta start my Drowned In Sound column soon but having just logged onto Myspace and become infuriated with the number of "thanks for the add" comments I need to deny, it's safe to assume this months piece is going to have a slightly negative slant.

23:15pm - After a couple of short breaks I have finally finished printing, cutting, folding and scoring every sheet of card I can lay my tired little paws on! Phew. Unfortunately it's only half the number I need to cover all of the orders. What a weekend I have ahead. Thankfully the forthcoming Shapes EP mixes have got me through the past hour and I now feel ready to take on the world and all of it's challenges

...Tomorrow

I'm done with today. Creativity is tiring

2 comments:

Bizzle said...

I am so owed that badge when my order from 6 months ago eventually gets delivered =P

Vinyl Banners said...

Out of office creativity can strike you anywhere and with whatever medium it manifests itself. You can use anything around you to feel creative and unload your mind of all this depressive hoopla circling the financial world. Thanks for sharing your interest :D