Monday, 17 November 2008

Mullet tossing and machine gun shooting

I've read a lot about the Surface Unsigned battle of the bands competition over the past few months and am still yet to find a positive spin on it. A lot of the bad things are linked to, or at least mentioned, on this forum thread. My favourite part is where the guy who is clearly involved with the organisation of the offending event steps in and pretends to be a local band member, defending the organisation. Internet lies are always the best.

I'm really caught in two - well, actually about 27 - minds over what to do with my time in the US next year. All I know for sure is that I'll be in Austin, Texas, between the 18th and 22nd March, apart from that, well the States are my oyster! Flights are cheap right now so the idea of jetting into New York for a few days, heading on to Texas, perhaps making the short bus ride to Dallas, moving on to LA and then home from there is within the budget and very tempting. I also quite fancy checking out Chicago, or Florida, or maybe catching up with friends in Boston. And then there's the West Coast. Las Vegas would be amazing, if a little pricey for this easily persuaded gambler. But what about a Greyhound or Amtrak pass? I could travel overnight, foregoing the need for a hotel room, and spend every day in a new city. There's a lot of country to see in just two weeks of travelling. Oh decisions, decisions.

To try and help aid my thought process I decided to see what events are happening across the country in March and April and boy is my luck in. Here are a few of my favourites:

The World's Largest Machine Gun Shoot

The World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup

SPAMARAMA

Interstate Mullet Toss

Running Of The Rodents

The World's Smallest St Patrick's Day Parade

Big Mountain Furniture Race

Emmett Kelly Clown Festival


So many amazing festivals, so little money. Time to start playing the Lottery I think.


2 comments:

Trevor Caesar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trevor Caesar said...

Not as scary as this!!!
emmett kelly clown