Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Down with the sickness

I don't cope well with being ill. A common cold to most people is a critical condition for me. I'll spend the next 3 days moping around, complaining about being bunged up, coughing and sighing, responding to every "how are you?" with a mournful look and a disheartened sneeze. I'm a joy to be around at times like this and so plan on doing the world a favour by locking the door for the next 48 hours. Dear blog, you'll have to feel the brunt of this one.

Last night I watched Maps and Atlases play. I can't think of another band I've waited so long to see. Having picked up on them some 3 years ago now via the word of mouth chain which seems to have worked its way around much of the world, I would've been more excited had it not been for the steady stream of snot running out of my nose. Still, they were great and it felt good to finally cross them off my list. Go and see them in London with This Town Needs Guns and Tropics tonight.

Speaking of TTNG, their album, 'Animals', was released yesterday and we're delighted to announce that they've signed a US deal. Joining the awesome Sargent House roster, the guys are in great company sitting alongside the likes of the aforementioned Maps and Atlases, Tera Melos, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, These Arms Are Snakes, Russian Circles and more. The album will be releases Stateside in the new year and they'll be touring to coincide with it. Exciting times.

Pulled Apart By Horses are due back from their little Spanish soiree today. They've spent the past week touring and being generally weird. Check out the video from their first two nights:




Alcopop's latest signing, Stars and Sons, is the Guardian websites Band of The Day today. This is our 3rd one this year, which is a pretty pleasing little stat.

We'll be announcing two new BSM releases very soon. One is something I've been looking forward to all year, the other is a relatively new development and an exciting two-part release, which will be unlike anything else you'll find next year.

PS. Listen to Look Mexico. Their new EP, 'Gasp Asp', is one of my favourite releases of 2008. If you're a fan of Minus The Bear, Colour, et al, I think you'll like these guys. Enjoy.


No comments: