Thursday, 19 June 2008

Myspace Fruit of The Week: The Zico's

It's been a while since I last wrote one of these but now, despite being half cut on lovely lovely Pimms and filled with the joys of summer, I find myself seething with rage. The reason?

The Zico's - Myspace Fruit of The Week Part Four

The Zico's are a 6 piece shit band from Glasgow. Their Myspace page says of the fool who produced their track 'Green Screen': "Jamie Duffin has an excellent musical pedigree and his father Graeme Duffin was guitarist with Wet Wet Wet" - How this man's father being in one of the biggest crimes in the history of music gives him a "good musical pedigree" I don't know. Come to think of it, I don't even know what a "good musical pedigree" entails.

I initially discovered this band after they emailed both the BSM and Alcopop Myspace accounts, with the exact same message, of course, declaring themselves as the next big thing. Nothing new there, I have about 10 equally deluded showers of bastards contacting me with the exact same bold, always aggressively incorrect, statement every single day. What sets these apart is the evidence which can be found over at www.myspace.com/bigscarymonsters right at the top of the comments list. That's right, not content with just emailing me (twice) with their lies, they left the exact same message on my page for the whole world to see. I guess when you have good musical pedigree you can get away with such acts of public annoyance.

If you care to take a look at the aforementioned comment you might notice a little dig they take at arguably one of the most important bands in the history of the UK music industry. Love them or hate them, you can't deny Oasis have played a huge part in shaping a whole generation of us. Well, that's not something The Zico's would agree with. "When Oasis were discovered the music scene was shit and now it is worse than it has ever been" they mutter our of their arses. CD sales are dropping, sure. Many genres are now awash with shit, yeah. A lot of bands are terrible wannabe's trying to make their name with countless Myspace messages, case in point. I don't, however, think it's fair to blame the brothers Gallagher and co for the state of the scene.

So, if you have a moment and fancy listening to some sub-Madchester bollocks from Scotland, get yourself over to www.myspace.com/thezicos and kiss goodbye to 5 minutes of your life you're never going to get back. Trust me, I've tried.

I'm off to try and raise my musical pedigree and see if I can figure out what exactly it is about the BSM back catalogue which makes so many inappropriate (and I don't mean that in a Big Scary Monsters sense, I mean that in a worldwide, history of time, why did you ever bother sense) bands attempt to ruin my day.

No comments: