Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Scratched vinyl

What a strange day. I woke up really early this morning, like, 5am early, and couldn't get another wink of sleep after that. My head was buzzing with lists of things I needed to do today and I felt uneasy and restless. I put it down to the massive amount of chicken I ate last night, but come 9am things were starting to unfold.

I sat down at my desk, wiped my white board clean and began to make a list of everything I needed to complete over the following 12 hours. Post mailorders, finalise Anathallo tour guestlists, update the website, chase for responses to a few emails, send a couple of Myspace bulletins and update this very blog with news of the 6 Machine project (below). A fairly tedious, non-descript day on paper but all of those things were pushed firmly down the agenda as a I read a number of similar posts on two different forums, all with the same worrying tales of Meet Me In St Louis' somewhat strange performance last night. The day had hardly begun but the rumour mill looked to have been churning for hours. From all accounts, the band looked far from their usual selves on stage. Moody, emotional, smashing equipment and to round it off, delivering the chilling line "this might be your last ever chance to sing along."

When my phone rang at 11.30 I wasn't even surprised to see Oli MMISL's name on the screen.

It's weird. Much like a relationship break up, the news takes a while to set in. After spending so many hundreds of consecutive days speaking to, thinking about and spending time with someone, it's almost easier to distract yourself with other things and bury your head in the proverbial sand.

I'm off to down my final packet of Nerds and start on my earlier list of tasks, 6 hours and one disappointing piece of news later than originally planned.

No comments: