Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Anathallo guest blog

I have so much in my head right now I just want to keep on writing and writing. But this post is for (and from) Anathallo, so without wanting to steal too much of their time, I'm going to keep this brief...

Meet Me In St Louis transparent, black splattered 12" vinyl and Yndi Halda 2x12" vinyl are both now available from www.bsmrocks.com/shop - Everyone should listen to Marvin's Revolt - Last night I ate one too many pancakes, lucky it only happens once a year - Anathallo flew to Dublin this morning to begin their tour - Passing them in the skies were Secondsmile, en route to New York to record their new album - This Town Needs Guns are on Channel M Thursday night, playing two songs live. You can tune in at channel 203 (Sky), 878 (Virgin) or online - The entrants for 6 Machine are flying in thick and fast. If you're in a band and want to throw your musical hat into our metephorical ring, lob it here - Following up with last weeks play on Huw Stephens show, Colin Murray gave Anathallo a spin Monday night and a very interesting review of their single can be read, or rather, looked at, here

Now, here are your hosts for this post, Anathallo...


Let me set the scene. In twenty hours and eight minutes, myself and the rest of my bandmates in Anathallo will be getting on a plane to begin our trip overseas. I'm currently sitting on a train in Chicago (the red line, just passing the Addison stop now) and I promised Kevin weeks ago that I would write a hello-of-sorts for his Blog Scary Monsters internet outpost.

So hello!

If I had been near a computer, this would have been written much earlier. As it is, here I am on the aforementioned red line typing this out on my phone. Please forgive any misspellings, new friends!

But yes, let me introduce ourselves. We are Anathallo, a seven piece indie outfit from Midwest America. How can I explain us? This question, I feel, trips up artists all the time. This "who are we?" and subsequently "how can I make you feel like you know us by the end of this post?"

We play indie rock. That sentence pretty much tells you nothing about us. We have guitars, bass, drums, harmonies aplenty, trombones, more drums, trumpets, xylophones, and a piano. We have been playing as Anathallo for seven years now... having grown up in Michigan and recently relocated to Chicago, Illinois. Stages such as Lollapalooza, Austin City Limits, and Coachella have all held our music. We've shared bills with Joanna Newsome, Sufjan Stevens, and Broken Social Scene. But never ever have we been able to play past the Atlantic. It's been a dream of ours, well, since our very first practice. And now in a day, we will be on that plane and on our way over. An incredible feeling.

A million and one thanks to Kevin and Big Scary Monsters. Our two song vinyl is just being released on BSM and that's another dream in it's own right. Kevin couldn't have been more helpful with our planning for this trip, for our first release, and any thank you I type out will feel inadequate. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

So. Hello. We can't wait to meet all of you. I'd try and explain our music a little more but both our Myspace and blog of our own have enough of our sounds that you can make your own judgement. The blog, too, sort of (perhaps abstractly?) chronicled the making of our new full length record that ought to be coming out sometime in the late spring/early summer. We're very excited for that. I'll try to post a little bit of our trip there, too, in the upcoming weeks!

We'll also be travelling with a fantastic band (and even better friends) Manchester Orchestra. I probably don't have to tell you how great they are... but let me just say we couldn't be happier to be sharing this trip with them. It really is going to be the best time.

I think that's it! Perfect timing, too, as I just reached my stop. See you soon.

Bret and Anathallo


1 comment:

Kristin B said...

Anathallo is the BEST!! =)